The Prof. is brilliant but he's such a busy person that his patients have to be patient and flexible. The Cancer Center staff and patients with low blood counts waited from his blood draw (8:45a) to almost 1:00pm to know whether he would sign off on a chemo session for them today.
Others on his schedule for consultations this morning were sent away with apologies and asked to come in at the same time tomorrow because he had been asked to make a presentation this morning!
Holding as many portfolios as he does and having to fly hither and yon every now and again, it is difficult for him to get much 'face time' with his patients. He is totally 'hands on' and makes all the important decisions, so we all pray for his good health and safety.
While waiting today, I met an old friend. I had heard she was also a patient of Prof. Wong and knew we would meet up in Cancer Canter 3 sooner or later so I was not surprised to see her there.
As one does in such situations we compared side effects and notes. And I learnt something new: she said that she had a lot of trouble with mucositis and that it helped her get some measure of relief to keep ice in her mouth during her chemo sessions .
She also had been told that in India, chewing on grated coconut 'flesh' helped sufferers from mouth ulcers and she's now tried it to good effect.
So now not only are we going to have Lin on Prosure powder (Vanilla!) in coconut water, he gets to chew the nice white 'flesh' of the coconut too.
All this means that he will be going to the Cancer Center next Monday for another blood test and, again, to wait for an all clear for chemo.
Hasta La Vista as I am going to Hong Kong to get away from the haze in Singapore (our Indonesian neighbours are burning down their forests to clear land for cultivation) and to continue my "R&R". Lin will be in good hands.
But I am imparting some advice sent by a friend:
THESE REALLY WORK!! APPARENTLY THEY’VE BEEN CHECK OUT ON SNOPES AND ARE FOR REAL.
AMAZING, SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES:
1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HOLD THE VEGETABLES WHILE YOU CHOP.
2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK.
3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE IN YOUR VEINS. (REMEMBER TO USE
4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON.
5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES. THEN YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.
6. YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.
7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.